The Lead Agency of the Winn Parish School Board is providing reading kits to families with infants and toddlers ages 0-36 months. These kits include 6 bilingual board books, 1 puppet, and a bilingual “Raising a Reader” Family Shared Reading Program Infant & Toddler Guide.
This guide gives tips on sharing books with infants ages 0-12 months and toddlers ages 12-36 months. Families of infants and toddlers are encouraged to pick up their free reading kit today at the Winn Parish School Board Office. These reading kits were purchased by the Believe grant written by Lead Agency and Early Childhood Supervisor Amanda Taylor. The 36 reading kits are available on a first come, first served basis. Contact Amanda Taylor at the Winn Parish School Board Office at 318-628-6936 for more information.
Try It! Read Aloud Tips for Infants:
· Hold baby in your lap to help them see the book you are holding. Make reading a daily habit.
· Read a few pages at a time.
· Make noises and sounds that are in the book.
· Follow your baby’s interest.
Try It! Read Aloud Tips for Toddlers:
· Share the same book over and over.
· Discuss what is happening in the pictures.
· Encourage your toddler to turn the pages, name objects in the pictures, make sounds, or repeat phrases.
· Ask simple questions about the pictures.
· Read a story while your toddler is in the bath, eating, or playing quietly.