The following is important information for the Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022, Open Congressional Primary Election:
- The qualifying period for candidates is July 20-22. Local and municipal candidates qualify with the Winn Parish Clerk of Court Chesney Creek Chandler located at 119 W. Main St. Room 103 Winnfield, LA 71483 (for office hours call 318-628-3515). Federal and state candidates qualify in the executive offices of Secretary of State, Kyle Ardoin at 8585 Archives Ave. in Baton Rouge between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Qualifying fees must be paid in the form of cash; certified or cashier’s check on a state or national bank or credit union; U.S. postal money order; or money order issued by a state or national bank or credit union and must be accompanied by the qualifying form.
- The deadline to register to vote in person, by mail or at the OMV Office is Oct. 11.
- The deadline to register to vote through the GeauxVote Online Registration System is Oct. 18.
- Early voting is from Oct. 25 through Nov. 1 (excluding Sunday, Oct. 30) from 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- The deadline to request an absentee ballot is Nov. 4 by 4:30 p.m (other than military and overseas voters). You can request an absentee ballot online through our Voter Portal or in writing through your Registrar of Voters Office.
- The deadline for a registrar of voters to receive a voted absentee ballot is Nov. 7 by 4:30 p.m. (other than military and overseas voters).
- On election day, the polls are open from 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
On the Winn Parish ballot:
|OFFICE TITLES||YEARS OF TERM||BEGINNING OF TERM||EXPIRATION OF TERM||DISTRICT|
|School Board Members||4||1/1/2023||12/31/2026||all|
|Mayor, Chief of Police, Alderman||4||1/1/2023||12/31/2026||–|
|Mayor, Chief of Police, Aldermen||4||1/1/2023||12/31/2026||–|
Propositions (Tax, Bond, Question) Elections
City of Winnfield Proposition
(Sales Tax Renewal)
Shall the City of Winnfield, State of Louisiana (the “City”), be authorized to continue to levy and collect a tax of one and one-half percent (1-1/2%) (the “Tax”) upon the sale at retail, the use, the lease or rental, the consumption, and the storage for use or consumption, of tangible personal property and on sales of services in the City, all as defined by law (an estimated $1,500,000 reasonably expected at this time to be collected from the levy of the Tax for an entire year), for a period of ten (10) years, commencing December 1, 2023, and ending November 30, 2032, with the avails or proceeds of the Tax (after paying reasonable and necessary costs of collecting and administering the Tax), to be dedicated for the purpose of providing funds for the sewer treatment; for solid waste landfill, capital improvements including streets, drainage and sanitation; and for the additional purpose of providing funds for any other lawful purposes of the City?