Winn Parish Recovery Response Update 9-3-20

Entergy is reporting 3,271 customers without power. One week after Hurricane Laura moved through the state, Entergy Louisiana crews continue making progress in their restoration efforts with around 60% of outages restored. As of 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3,105,591 customers remain without power.

Over the course of the storm and their restoration, 355,751 have been restored in Louisiana as of 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3.

A breakdown of the damaged infrastructure in southwest Louisiana included:

  • Distribution: 9,760 poles, 3,729 transformers and 18,706 spans of wire damaged.
  • Substations: 292 impacted.
  • Transmission: 219 lines out of service.

Winn Parish Police Jury
Permits are available at the police jury office by money order for $75. If you need a new utility pole or meter you will need to purchase a permit. Please remember that the police jury phone lines are still down.

City of Winnfield
Per Mayor George Moss, there are now 67 utility workers working on restoring power in the City of Winnfield. “If your neighbor has power and you do not it’s because of a computer issue. There is no internet at the power office,” stated Moss.

As of 9/3/20 FEMA has not arrived in Winn Parish.

Winn Parish was added to the Louisiana Disaster Declaration. The designation allows citizens to apply for Disaster Assistance from FEMA. Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, emergency home repairs for the primary residence, uninsured and underinsured personal property losses, medical, dental, and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, and other serious disaster-related costs such as childcare, medical and dental expenses. All citizens impacted by Hurricane Laura are encouraged to register as they may be eligible for FEMA assistance.

Before you apply, contact your insurance company and file a claim for the disaster-caused damage. FEMA will require your claim number when you apply. Take photographs or video of the damage and keep all receipts related to home repair.

The link to register is or by calling 800-621-3362. After registering, create an account to check your application status, view FEMA messages, update your personal information, and upload necessary documents.

If you have suffered damage to your property or vehicle, call the Sheriff’s office at 225-254-0148 ext. 0. They will need your name, address, what was damaged, and an estimate of the damaged property’s value.

If you need assistance with cutting trees, call the Sheriff’s dept at 225-254-0148 ext. 0. They will put you on a list for service from the Bible Chainsaw Gang. Please remember that the Army National Gaurd cannot cut down trees on private property.

Army National Guard – Major Bratton
The Army National Guard is still working on clearing off the roads. The POD at Winnfield Senior High School continues to distribute commodities that include MRE’s, ice, and water. Citizens lining up to receive commodities has decreased dramatically. The National Guard will monitor the need based on the amount of people served daily. As the need decreases the operation will be scaled back and then stopped.

City of Winnfield Fire Department
Providing meals every afternoon to all 1st responders at the fire station.

Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) will be available soon in Winn Parish. DSNAP provides eligible low- to moderate-income households – who do not normally receive SNAP benefits – with help buying groceries due to lost income or damages following a disaster.

American Red Cross
Has set up a facility at the Allen Building  handing out clean up kits. If you need assistance from the American Red Cross, you may contact Heather Carbajal at 423-863-0200 or 423-765-4222.

Trash Disposal
Dumpsters are available for trash disposal in Calvin across from the store, Sikes on 2nd St, St. Maurice fire station, and Atlanta fire station. Please do not use the dumpsters for limbs and vegetation.

General Announcements
Winn Parish Police Jury Office phones are down. Please call Karen Tyler at 318-715-1442 if you need assistance.


Leave a Reply