Two Die in Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Emergency

Winnfield Police Department Press Release

Responders from the Winnfield Police Department, Winnfield Fire Department and Advanced EMS were dispatched to a home in the 500 block of Elliott Street on Feb. 16 around 1:28 am for two unresponsive individuals. Both black male subjects had been discovered inside the residence by a concerned neighbor who alerted authorities.

Officers found a running generator inside the house that was not properly vented, allowing exhaust to escape into the house, resulting in the death of the two individuals from carbon monoxide poisoning. The two men were identified as Tyrone Williams, age 62, and Lester Barnes, age 66, both of Winnfield.

Emergency personnel remind citizens that the most common form of carbon monoxide poisoning is unvented space heaters that use combustible fuel and indoor air for heating. Other sources are any equipment that uses combustible fuel and generates an exhaust into a room or structure. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and colorless. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pains and confusion. Results, as in this case, are deadly.